Registered Tax Return Preparer


What Is A Registered Tax Return Preparer (RTRP)?

The IRS requires all paid tax pre­par­ers to reg­is­ter with the IRS and obtain a PTIN. A pre­parer that is a CPA or an attor­ney are not required to pass a com­pe­tency exam because of the con­tin­u­ing edu­ca­tion require­ments to main­tain their licen­sure. Once a CPA or attor­ney obtains a PTIN, they are con­sid­ered Registered Tax Return Preparers (RTRP).

Enrolled Agents, super­vised pre­par­ers or non-1040 pre­par­ers must pass a com­pe­tency exam and main­tain con­tin­u­ing edu­ca­tion requirements. Once a paid tax pre­parer passes the one-time com­pe­tency exam, tax com­pli­ance and suit­abil­ity check, they will become a Registered Tax Return Preparer (RTRP). It is impor­tant to know that any paid tax pre­parer may not call them­selves an RTRP until receiv­ing a cer­tifi­cate from the IRS.

As you go through your search for a qual­i­fied, Registered Tax Return Preparer, ask to see this cer­tifi­cate.